Do you want to ...
... build your résumé?
... expand your network?
... give back to the community?
Volunteering is a great way to
- build your resume.
- meet new people and expand your network.
- explore your talents and passion.
Here are some tips to help you prepare so that you can make the best first impression.
- Review each organization's website to familiarize yourself with their vision and mission and view the posted volunteer opportunities.
- Understand why you want to volunteer and what skills you have to offer.
- Qualify yourself - formulate a verbal summary statement that highlights your strengths as they pertain to the volunteer opportunity.
- Think about your availability and the amount of time you can commit to a volunteer opportunity.
- When you talk to the organization, avoid being overly desperate or pushy. You are being evaluated just as you would for a job interview.
Bay Area Volunteer Opportunities
- Alzheimer's Association of Northern CA
- Asian Americans for Community Involvement
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Silicon Valley
- Catholic Charities
- City of Sunnyvale
- Ecumenical Hunger Program
- El Camino Hospital Auxillary
- Friends for Youth
- Habitat for Humanity East Bay/Silicon Valley
- The Jewish Coalition for Literacy
- Living Classroom
- One Brick Silicon Valley
- Project Hired
- Sutter Health / Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
- Sacred Heart Community Services
- Silicon Valley Pet Project
- Stanford Blood Centers
- Sunday Friends
- Sunnyvale Community Services
- Taproot Foundation
- The CLASS Consulting Group
- The Tech Museum of Innovation
- The Trust for Hidden Villa
- United Way Silicon Valley
- West Valley Community Services