Several NOVA Job Center Partner organizations provide services for individuals with disabilities. If you need help obtaining an accommodation or training on assistive technology, one of these partners can help. If you are looking for a support group, housing referral, or advocacy, check out the list below to see who has these specialized programs.
- California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) provides employment services to individuals with disabilities who are eligible for their services. Some of the services include assessment, training, transportation, job preparation and placement. Apply online or contact DOR staff at their main office:
California Department of Rehabilitation
100 Paseo de San Antonio, Rm. 324, San Jose, CA
408-277-1355, (408) 277-1043 (TTY)
- Expandability provides employment preparation and job-placement assistance for individuals with disabilities in their Access-to-Jobs program. Their School-to-Future program provides career planning, computer workshops, mentoring, job shadowing, and networking for students of all ages. Their Workplace Solutions program includes an adaptive technology training center where adults and students can learn access technology such as Kurzweil and Jaws. Call to learn more and to sign-up.
1150 S. Bascom Avenue, Suite 7A, San Jose, CA
- Momentum for Mental Health vocational services program specializes in helping individuals with psychiatric disabilities obtain and maintain employment. Momentum also offers a comprehensive array of treatment, rehabilitation and housing programs and services. To be eligible you must be signed up with the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR). Ask your DOR counselor for more info and to find out when and where the next orientation will be held.
Momentum for Mental Health
86 South 14th Street, San Jose, CA
- Project HIRED is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, established in 1978, with a mission "to assist individuals with disabilities to gain and to sustain employment." Services for individuals with disabilities include job-search assistance with qualified employment specialists, a computer resource center, skills workshops, hands-on computer classes, basic and technical online computer-skills training, and résumé-writing assistance. Project HIRED also offers direct placements through the AbilityOne program.
1401 Parkmoor Ave., Suite 125, San Jose, CA
408-557-0880 / 888-520-4572 (toll free)
- Services for Brain Injury has a full range of services for individuals with a brain injury from vocational assessment and testing to job development and placement. In addition there are pre-employment services such as computer-aided learning, cognitive retraining and independent living skills training. Call for more information.
Services for Brain Injury
60 Daggett Drive, San Jose, CA
- Silicon Independent Living Center (SVILC) provides comprehensive services for people with all types of disabilities. They offer classes, workshops, support groups and recreational activities. They have programs for assistive technology, benefits information and referral, counseling, housing referrals and placement, independent living skills, advocacy, personal assistance services, youth leadership and employment services. Call for an appointment.
Silicon Independent Living Center (SVILC)
2202 N. First Street, San Jose, CA
- Work Incentive Planning and Assistance (WIPA) appointments, conducted by Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities, are available to help Social Security beneficiaries who are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and/or Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI) to make informed choices about their benefits. This program is for individuals who are considering work, seeking work, self-employed, or currently employed. Individualized appointments with a WIPA counselor are available at the NOVA Job Center every last Thursday of the month from 12 noon to 4 p.m. Appointments must be scheduled in advance. To schedule to meet with a WIPA counselor at the NOVA Job Center, call 650-645-1780.
Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities
2001 Winward Way, Suite 103, San Mateo, CA